Depending on where you live, you may never have to drive your N Charlotte Toyota up or down a mountain. However, you never know when you may venture to a mountainous area and you have to tackle this new type of topography. If you find yourself having to drive on types of topography you're unfamiliar with, keep in mind these safe driving tips from Toyota of N Charlotte!
Safe driving on mountains
Before you take on any mountainous incline or terrain, you should first make sure your N Charlotte Toyota is in tiptop shape. When driving on a mountain, your car brakes, transmission, and tires should all be in good condition. If you're unsure of what shape your new Toyota in N Charlotte is in, bring it for our Toyota Service Center technicians to inspect! Our Toyota-trained automotive experts will get your car back in ship shape before you tackle any safe driving through the mountains. Once your new Toyota near Charlotte is up for the task, head for the mountains!
Safe driving tips for going up the mountain:
- Have a full tank of gas. When driving on or around a mountain, you could go at least 100 miles without passing a gas pump. Before you venture into mountainous territory, make sure your N Charlotte Toyota has a full tank of gas.
- Brake carefully. While wrapping around a mountain, brake slowly around turns. Typically, there are road signs indicating turns around mountains. When you see these signs, slow down and take the turn slowly. Sharp turns are common in mountainous areas and it's safer if you anticipate these sudden changes.
- Give the right of way to cars going uphill. Allow plenty of space for the cars driving up the mountain.
- Don't ride in the center of the road. It is a tendency for drivers on an empty mountain road to drift to the center line of the road, but this can be extremely dangerous. Mountain roads have a lot of blind turns that don't allow you to see oncoming traffic. For safe driving, maintain your lane and don't hug the center line.
Safe driving tips for going down the mountain:
- Switch to a lower gear. If you're facing steep inclines or declines, you should put your N Charlotte Toyota in the lowest gear possible. Driving in a low gear helps save your transmission and your brakes. A low gear allows your engine to brake for you and puts less stress on your car brake system.
- Don't ride your brakes. If you use your brakes too much while driving down a mountain, they can overheat and possibly go out. Instead, try using the pulse braking method. Determine a safe speed for your descent and only apply the brakes when your vehicle gets five mph above that speed. This allows you to keep a safe speed and not overheat your car brakes.
- Allow your brakes to cool down. If your brakes begin to overheat and you lose braking efficiency, find a safe place to pull over and let your brakes cool down. Turn on your hazard lights to notify other drivers that your new Toyota near Charlotte is currently disabled.
Handle hills with safe driving tips from our N Charlotte Toyota dealership
Hills are a smaller and less menacing version of mountains. Most safe driving techniques for mountains also apply to safe driving on hills. However, there are a couple of hazards you experience on hills that you wouldn't on mountains. When practicing safe driving your N Charlotte Toyota on hills, remember to:
- Drive in a low gear. A consistent up and down can be strenuous on the engine and brakes of your new Toyota near Charlotte. Drive on hills in a low gear to help save your car's systems like engine, transmission, and brakes.
- Not stop if the road is covered in snow or ice. While driving up a hill in snowy or icy conditions, avoid stopping. Your tires will have a hard time keeping traction if you stop moving on these slippery surfaces.
- Pass with care. Hilly roads often block a driver's vision of oncoming cars. If you're not quite over the hill, you may not see a car driving up on the other side of the hill. Because of the limited visibility, you should pass and change lanes with caution. Only pass when you can see all traffic, and always use your turn indicators.
Sea level safe driving tips
Most drivers are accustomed to driving on flat and level roads. However, a safe driving tips refresher is always helpful! When you're driving around the city in your new Toyota near Charlotte:
- Use defensive driving techniques. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. You should leave safe following distance between your N Charlotte Toyota and the car in front of you.
- Avoid distracted driving. Keep distractions, like your phone, out of sight and out of reach. You should keep your hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, and mind focused on safe driving at all times.
- Use cruise control on the highway. To avoid fatigue and speeding, and even improve your fuel efficiency, use cruise control on the open highway. However, do not use cruise control in traffic or rain.
New Toyota cars keep you protected
If you're nervous about taking on unfamiliar topography, make sure you're driving a safe N Charlotte Toyota! Our new Toyota cars have top of the line safety features that can help keep you safe on the road - no matter how high up that road is! These available top-notch safety features include:
- Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-traffic Alert
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Auto High Beams
Do you feel like you could handle any type of topography? For more safe driving tips, or to test drive a safe new Toyota, visit our Toyota of N Charlotte. We're located at 13429 Statesville Road, just off of I-77 at exit 23!