Car Headlight Care Tips
Headlights are an imperative part of your Charlotte Toyota car care routine. It’s what gives you more power to see at night—besides the fact that it’s illegal to not use them when it’s dark out. What many fail to remember is that headlights actually need more attention than they receive. Think about it, when was the last time you checked the condition of your headlights? Are they dimming? Did one of the bulbs burn? It’s understandable to forget about the condition of your headlights because you don’t see them in while driving. Wondering how you could better the performance of your headlights? Toyota of North Charlotte has the inside scoop on car maintenance, especially your headlights.
Your Charlotte Toyota headlights should be checked once a month, for the reasons mentioned above—dimming, burnt bulbs, etc. What sometimes may cause for them to go out are that they’re oxidizing, extreme weather conditions (cold and heat), cracks, and old age. It’s best to know the conditions of your headlights before you’re driving in the middle of the road at night and they suddenly go out. Now you can’t see what’s ahead of you, risk getting a ticket, or even worse, a car accident.
Maintaining your car headlights, the North Charlotte Toyota way:
- Check the lenses: Headlight lenses tend to get cloudy and dirty throughout time. If this is not taken care of, the cloudiness could diffuse the beams—making harder to see and be seen while you’re driving in Charlotte.
- Replace your headlights in pairs: Because headlights dim over time, it’s best to replace them in pairs—even if only one burns out. Having one light brighter than the other can also interfere because it creates an uneven field of vision. This can be disruptive for yourself as well as oncoming drivers.
- Headlight alignment!: Make sure the beams are aimed well. If they are too high or too low, this can cause a blind spot for other drivers. This is the last thing you want to do, for it can cause car accidents and the headaches of dealing with one.
How to change a headlight
Changing a headlight is pretty simple as long as you have the right tools. Have handy rubbing alcohol or wipes, a screwdriver, and safety glasses that help protect your eyes. Check your Charlotte Toyota’s owner’s manual so you could confirm which bulbs are compatible for your vehicle.
- Turn off your car and open the hood
- Take of the power connector and the dust cover located on the back of the headlight
- Some cars have a clip holding the bulb in place; press it down to release it
- Carefully pull out the bulb; DO NOT pull it from the glass—it may cause it to break.
- Gently wipe the new bulb with rubbing alcohol or wipes to make sure it’s fresh and clean
- Line up the bulb back in place carefully and secure it
- Replace the power connector, dust cover, and the clip
- Turn on headlights to see if the bulb is working
- And voila! You replaced your headlights. Give yourself a pat on the back!
It’s always good to be more knowledgeable when it comes down to car parts, especially your headlights. But if you don’t see yourself replacing your own headlights, bring your car down to our service center and have one of our techs do it for you! Toyota of North Charlotte is located at 13429 Statesville Rd. Call us today and schedule an appointment at (704)659-2025.